If you believe an employer has limited your opportunities in the workplace or perhaps terminated you for no reason other than your age, you may have a Bronx age discrimination case.
The Company’s Activities
Age discrimination can be very subtle because, as a Bronx employment law attorney reports, most employers are aware that New York has in place legislation in the form of the Age Discrimination Employment Act of 1967 protecting workers over the age of 40. Nonetheless, employers may proceed with a plan to reorganize their business in an effort, for example, to reduce payroll or healthcare costs by terminating older workers.
Among the signs recognized by a Bronx employment law attorney that may give rise to a Bronx age discrimination case are:
- The failure to hire an individual based on age;
- Firing an employee based on age;
- Laying off an employee based on age; and
- Excluding an employee from training, seminars or other educational conferences based on age.
A Bronx Employment Law Attorney on Remedies
Recovery for a wrongful termination case based on age discrimination can include some or all of the following based on individual circumstances:
- Lost wages. This can include wages lost due to termination and the difference between wages earned in a new position and your former position;
- Lost benefits. Health insurance, life insurance, pension benefits, 401K benefits and disability benefits are among the benefits that must be factored in as damages;
- Emotional distress;
- Punitive damages;
- Legal fees; and
- Non-monetary damages. The court can order job reinstatement and may direct the employer to change company policy to ensure such an occurrence is not repeated in the future.
Contact a Bronx Employment Law Attorney for Legal Advice
Understanding how a Bronx age discrimination case works can be a complex matter. To determine if you have been the victim of age discrimination and to protect your rights, you need an experienced and knowledgeable advocate on your side. Call the Law office of Delmas Costin, Jr., a Bronx employment law attorney, at 718-618-0589.